Research Software Development Pilot Project — Third Call for Applications
Research and High-Performance Computing Support (RHPCS) is pleased to announce the third call for applications to the Research Software Development Pilot Project.
The Research Software Development Pilot Project will provide research groups access to a small team of professional research software developers. Research software developers will work alongside research groups on a part-time (up to a 0.4 FTE) basis for 2 to 3 months. The Research Software Development Pilot Project will run from April 2019-August 2020.
Please note, there is no direct funding available through this program, but rather access to time from the Research Software Development Team.
We are inviting research groups to apply for support from the Research Software Development Team, as outlined below. We will be supporting 2 to 3 applications, as resources permit.
Interested researchers can apply by completing a short application form that:
- describes the problem requiring support from the Research Software Development Team
- describes the scope of the required software, how it is intended to be used, and how it might be used by other groups
- explains the current status of the software to be developed, including an estimate of the number of current users and an estimate of the number and range of intended users after working with the Research Software Development Team
- proposes a strategy for engaging with and supporting the Research Software Development Team to ensure a successful outcome within the intended timeframe.
Applications will be assessed by a selection committee made up of researchers from the RHPCS Advisory and Research Technology Committees using the criteria outlined below.
Applicants are invited to discuss their application with the Research Software Development Team prior to submission.
The three to five most highly ranked applications will be invited to discuss their proposals in more detail with the selection committee who will then pick the two or three projects that they consider to be the best fit for the Pilot Program.
- Monday April 27, 2020: Call for applications opens
- Monday May 18, 2020 : Call for applications are due at midnight
- Week of May 25, 2020: Shortlisted applicants will be invited to discuss their proposals with the selection committee.
- After June 8, 2020: Projects will begin
Please email the Research Software Development team if you have any questions.
About the Research Software Development Pilot Project
This project will help researchers refine existing software tools to improve usability and robustness, disseminate research software beyond the lab in which it is created, and to enhance existing functionality. Additionally, this pilot project will provide direction on future research software packages that will be offered to research groups.
The Research Software Development Pilot Project has been made possible by funding from the Canadian Network for the Advancement of Research Industry and Education (CANARIE) and the Office of the Vice-President Research.