Feedback Sessions have concluded for the MUFA Student Evaluation of Teaching Report
McMaster’s Office of the Provost has concluded the January feedback sessions designed to gather input on possible plans to enhance the way in which students give feedback on their learning experiences.
The McMaster teaching and learning community can still provide feedback through an online survey. If you were unable to attend one of the sessions, or attended but wish to provide further feedback, please fill out the survey.
The survey will remain open until February 14.
More about the student evaluation of teaching review
In 2019, the McMaster University Faculty Association developed a committee to review student evaluation of teaching at the university. The committee gathered data through focus groups, surveys, interviews and a literature review. The committee has reviewed current student evaluation practices and developed recommendations for improvement.
A central component of the committee’s recommendations was the inclusion of student input about their learning experiences for three purposes:
Formative: to help instructors and programs provide better quality teaching suited to the needs of their students.
Summative: to help administrators assess the quality and effort provided by individual instructors.
Accountability: to help instructors, program managers, deans and the VP academic assess the experience of students at McMaster and respond to the perceived weaknesses.
Various initiatives are being considered with these purposes in mind. Feedback will be used to help shape the future of course evaluation at the institution moving forward.
For more information please review MUFA’s Report on Student Evaluations of Teaching, November, 2019.
MUFA’s ad hoc committee was comprised of:
- Michel Grignon (Chair and President, McMaster University Faculty Association, Professor of Economics and Health, Aging, and Society)
- Joe Kim (Associate Professor, Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour)
- Lynn Martin (Assistant Professor, School of Nursing)
- Kris Knorr (Educational Developer, MacPherson Institute)
- Tiffanny van Lieshout (Graduate Students Association, Faculty of Science)
- Stephanie Bertolo (McMaster Students Union, Vice President of Education)
- Tasneem Warwani (McMaster Students Union, Associate Vice-President of University Affairs).