Call for nominations: Honorary Degrees
Members of the McMaster community are invited to nominate candidates for honorary degrees. Honorary Graduands will address the graduating class of 2022 during the spring and fall convocation ceremonies.
There are three general categories of people upon whom the University confers honorary degrees:
- Individuals who are distinguished scholars or who have made outstanding contributions to the creative or performing arts;
- Individuals who have distinguished reputations in the area of public service at the national or international levels, or who have had long and distinguished careers in professions such as law, or as educators, for example; and
- Individuals who have made important and noteworthy contributions to McMaster University and/or the local community.
Anyone is welcome to submit a nomination. While there is no requirement to have a direct connection to McMaster University, such as being a member of the staff, faculty, or student body, these groups may have a vested interest in identifying individuals who reflect the criteria outlined above. Members of the University community are encouraged to partner with an academic department where appropriate.
Interested nominators are encouraged to:
- Review the instructions, the Nomination Form, and the Chronological List of Honorary Degree Recipients (1892-Present)
- Contact the University Secretariat for advice before preparing a thorough nomination package
- Consult McMaster University’s Guidelines for the Awarding of Honorary Degrees
All nominations should be submitted electronically by Monday, September 13th, 2021 to email@example.com.