Secure your McMaster IT experience with Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR)
To support a more secure McMaster, University Technology Services (UTS) will soon be requesting that all McMaster students, faculty, and staff reset their MacID password.
The evolving technology landscape requires us to increasingly protect our McMaster information and technology systems and experiences. To support a more secure McMaster, University Technology Services (UTS) will soon be requesting that all McMaster students, faculty, and staff reset their MacID password.
In anticipation of this global password reset, we are launching a three-step process:
- Step 1: Complete the Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR)
- Step 2: Everyone with a MacID will be asked to reset their password in early June.
- Step 3: Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) once you complete Step 1, you will have the option to sign up for MFA, adding even more protection to your MacID.
Step 1: SSPR process:
The SSPR tool provides you with the ability to securely reset and recover your password 24 hours a day, 7 days a week without needing to contact UTS Client Services.
It is easy, fast, and safe and works whether you are on or off campus, or anywhere you have access to a browser. Once you register to SSPR, if you forget your MacID password, you can use your registered Security Information to reset it, just as you do for your personal banking, shopping, and streaming etc.
Effective Thursday May 27, UTS will enable SSPR for McMaster. Here is what you can expect:
- Next time you login to a Microsoft service you will receive a notice that SSPR has been enabled and that you should fill in your recovery information.
- You have the option to ignore the message for up to a maximum of two weeks.
- At the end of the two-week period, the next time you log in, you will need to complete the process.
The automated prompts you will receive once SSPR has been enabled are simple and easy to follow. Watch a how-to video here:
Learn more about SSPR here: https://uts.mcmaster.ca/self-service-password-reset-tool-becomes-available-to-mcmaster/
Step 2: Reset your password!
Please wait for a notification in early June that it is your turn to reset your password. A password reset is required. If you reset your password now, you will have to change it again in June.
Step 3: Multi Factor Authentication (MFA)
Once you have registered for SSPR, you will receive an email inviting you to register for Multifactor Authentication (MFA). Multi-factor authentication (MFA) adds an extra layer of protection to help prevent hackers from accessing your email and account — even if they have your password.
McMaster / Microsoft 365 MFA is available for all members of the McMaster community for their MacID account and is strongly recommended.
Learn more about MFA here: https://office365.mcmaster.ca/mfa/
Thank you for your cooperation. Stay tuned for further information regarding MacID password resets in the coming weeks.
Please visit: https://uts.mcmaster.ca/contact-us/ for further information and support.