posted on Jan. 23: Federal investment means new research dollars for McMaster


Researchers at McMaster will receive more than $1.5-million for seven research projects funded under the Canada Foundation for Innovation's New Opportunities Program.

The new funding was announced yesterday by CFI president David Strangway. Projects include:

Paul Berti(chemistry)  Transition state analysis in drug design: Enzyme mechanisms and inhibitor design based on atomic-resolution transition state structures.
CFI contribution: $200,230

Jonathan Bramson (pathology & molecular medicine)  Understanding the communication between virus-infected cells and the immune system: Development of new vaccines, anti-viral strategies and gene therapies.
CFI contribution: $163,788

Juliet Daniel and Suleiman Igdoura (biology)  Molecular and cellular manipulation studies in cancer and neurodegeneration research.
CFI contribution: $365,771

Yingfu Li (biochemistry)  Creation of functional nucleic acids and DNA-binding molecules as therapeutic agents.
CFI contribution: $199,152

Stuart Phillips (kinesiology)  Assessment of blood flow and physiological and biochemical function of human skeletal muscle: Application in special populations.
CFI contribution: $261,889

Shahram Shirani (electrical & computer engineering)  Multimedia processing and communications lab.
CFI contribution: $155,224

Ray Truant (biochemistry)  Elucidation of nuclear localization signals associated with the Huntington's Disease protein.
CFI contribution: $164,126

McMaster University President Peter George says these awards recognize
young researchers who employ innovative methods that put them at the
forefront of their disciplines. “They remind us that McMaster is still
able to recruit some of the country's best and brightest researchers,” he says.

The CFI covers 40 per cent of the eligible costs of a project, with the remaining 60 per cent coming from the universities and their funding partners from the private and public sectors. The CFI is an independent, not-for-profit corporation established by the federal government in 1997 to address Canada's research infrastructure.