Move-in weekend happening August 24 and 25
Housing & Conference Services (HCS) will welcome more than 3,900 students to campus during residence move-in weekend. Students will arrive on Saturday, August 24 and Sunday, August 25 to join our residence community across 13 buildings, including our newest in the Peter George Centre for Living and Learning (PGCLL).
In anticipation of an exciting weekend on campus, HCS has partnered with Campus Security and Parking Services to create move-in driving routes that minimize the impact of traffic on our neighbours and the community.
Starting Friday, August 23 at 4 p.m., parking lots G, H, and Q gates will be closed to entering traffic as HCS staff begin weekend preparations. Transponders for these lots will be able to access alternate parking lots from August 23 to 25.
On Saturday, August 24, over 2,000 first-year students will move into select North Quad residence buildings including Brandon, Hedden, Les Prince, McKay, Whidden, and Woodstock Halls.
- Residents moving into Hedden, Les Prince, McKay and Woodstock Hall will enter campus through the Sterling Street entrance. They will then proceed through to Lot H, where they will be directed to the marshalling and unloading areas for their building.
- Residents moving into Brandon and Whidden Halls enter campus via Cootes Drive. From there they will travel past Alumni Memorial Hall (University Club) through to the Commons Building, where they will be directed to the marshalling and unloading areas for their residence.
- After unloading, all cars are directed to short-term parking in Underground Parking and Lots B, C, and I.
- To keep the traffic moving, all routes will have clear signage and staff at key locations
For McMaster Employees
We will be sharing the Sterling Street entrance with employees and emergency vehicles. HSR buses will be rerouted for the duration of the move-in weekend. Please visit the HSR website for more details.
University employees who need to access McMaster via the Sterling Street entrance should try to avoid the large volume of traffic moving north to south through campus; these employees will be directed to park in Lot B.
Any pick-ups or deliveries on campus should use an alternate location away from the hustle and bustle of residence move-in activity.
Employees are asked not to park in the following areas on Saturday:
- Lot H. All areas and along the roadway between Alumni Field and the 10-acre field. All parking spaces plus the roadways will be used for move-in traffic
- Lot G and along Stearn Drive opposite the main entrance to the Commons Building and McKay Hall
- Lot D opposite the David Braley Athletic Centre/Ivor Wynne Centre and Lot C opposite the Michael G. DeGroote Building.
On Sunday, August 25, students living in all West Quad residence buildings including Mary E. Keyes Residence, Bates, Matthews, Moulton, and Wallingford Halls will arrive on campus. Edwards Hall and PGCLL will also be moving in on Sunday.
- Residents moving into Bates and Moulton will enter via Cootes Drive and be directed to holding areas for their specific residence and then proceed to unload zones.
- Residents moving into Mary E. Keyes, Matthews and Wallingford will enter campus off of Main St. West . They will then be directed north on University Avenue, through the centre of campus, and proceed to check-in and unloading zones.
- Residents moving into Peter George Centre for Living and Learning (PGCLL) will be directed to enter campus via the Sterling Street entrance. They will then proceed through to Lot H, where they will be directed to the marshalling and unloading areas for their building.
- Residents moving into Edwards Hall will be directed to enter campus through the Sterling Street entrance and head towards the rose garden traffic circle for unloading.
- All cars are then directed to short-term parking to Underground Parking and Lots B, C, I, M, and P.
For McMaster Employees
Staff who usually access McMaster via the intersection at Main St. West are encouraged to enter through the east side of campus. Please use the roadways in the Westdale community due to the higher than usual volume of traffic entering campus via University Ave.
Employees are asked not to park in Lot I on Sunday.
For a detailed view of the areas mentioned above, please view the parking lot map on Parking Service’s website.
For additional move-in weekend information, please visit housing.mcmaster.ca/future-residents/move-in/