Encouraging our community to reflect on Anti-Black Racism
“The recent death of Tyre Nichols following a confrontation with police in Memphis is yet another stark reminder that as a society we need to acknowledge institutional racism and keep pushing for change,” said Sonia Anand, acting associate vice-president, Equity and Inclusion.
“This heartache runs deep for many students, faculty members and staff across campus, particularly as we approach Black History Month, a time where our community comes together to celebrate the contributions and achievements of Black and African diasporic peoples. Let us take this time to reflect together on race and racism and renew our commitment to deeper understanding and meaningful action to combat these systemic issues.”
MCMASTER STUDENTS, FACULTY AND STAFF ARE ENCOURAGED TO REACH OUT TO THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTS AND RESOURCES:
- Contact the Equity and Inclusion Office by phone: 905.525.9140 ext. 27581 or email for an appointment at email@example.com.
- The Student Wellness Centre (SWC) offers counselling and other support.
- The Black Student Success Centre (BSSC) is open and offers a safe space for Black students to meet, share, socialize and access specialized programming. You can also follow the BSSC on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
- A partnership between the SWC and the BSSC, the Black X-Scape is a student led mental health peer support group that offers space for Black students to have safe and liberating discussions about mental health and healing.
- Visit Good2Talk online or call 1-866-925-5454: Available 24/7, for undergrad students in Ontario.
- Grad students: Find the EmpowerMe helpline number for your location, available 24/7 in multiple languages, for all local and overseas grad students.
Faculty and Staff
- Contact the Equity and Inclusion Office by phone: 905.525.9140 ext. 27581 email for an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mcmaster Employee and Labour Relations provides advice and guidance.
- Support is available through the Employee & Family Assistance Program: online at Homewood Health or you call toll-free in English; toll-free in French; or TTY call toll-free in English; toll-free in French; or TTY.
- Across Boundaries has a holistic approach to mental health care includes many of the same services offered by other mental health agencies, but is also anchored in an anti-racist, and anti-Black racism framework.