New time management system for McMaster employees
Whether you track your time by the minute or only track time away from the office, the system McMaster uses to track hours worked and absences is changing this fall.
This October, McMaster will have a new system to record time worked and absences for University staff, including managers. The system is part of Mosaic, McMaster’s project to implement an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. The new system, PeopleSoft Human Capital Management, will replace the current HR information system commonly known as MacVIP.
Types of employees whose time will be recorded using the new time entry system:
- Employees with varying work hours who track time, including temp/casual and some UNIFOR
- Employees, including UNIFOR and managers (TMG), with regular schedules who only report exceptions to their schedule, such as vacation
- Employees who use time clocks, such as Hospitality, will continue to use those systems to feed the time management system.
Employees who will not be using the time entry system:
- Faculty members
- CUPE members (TAs, RAs, post-docs and sessionals)
The system offers a number of features:
- Offers electronic workflow for approving time entries
- Tracks flex-time (for those areas that use flex-time)
- Tracks time-in-lieu
- Tracks vacation entitlements and vacation time taken
- Includes functionality to track absences such as sick time and personal days
- Allows employees the option of entering time online (when appropriate)
- Includes vacation-time request functionality which is tied to electronic workflow
The Mosaic team will be working with departmental timekeepers to ensure a smooth transition to the new system.
The new time tracking system will be phased in gradually. At launch, hours worked or exceptions to scheduled hours must be recorded. Beginning in January leaves, such as vacation time, personal days and management compensation days, will be tracked in the new system and employees will see a balance of their remaining leave time on their pay stubs and online.
To help you prepare, Mosaic is holding several events where the new time entry system will be explained in more detail. A webinar exploring the Time Entry functionality will be held on July 18 from 1-1:15 p.m.
A webinar focusing on Absences and Leaves functions, including vacation time, will be held on July 31 from 1-1:15 p.m.