New employee recruiting system coming to McMaster
It’s the one thing that every McMaster employee has in common: they went through the hiring process.
In October, that process will change with the introduction of a new recruitment and candidate management system as part of the HR portion of Mosaic. The new recruitment module within the HR system will replace several different systems that are currently used to recruit and hire employees. MacTrac will be completely replaced and OSCAR will no longer be used for hiring work/study positions.
Unlike the current, independent systems, the new recruitment module integrates within the rest of the HR system and provides a single, unified method for all recruiting and hiring across McMaster, including:
- Work Study Students
- Staff (including Temporary/Casual Jobs)
- Faculty members
- Teaching and research assistants
- Sessional faculty members
“Recruiting the best talent is a key part of McMaster’s ongoing success. This new system will give hiring managers more effective tools to achieve that goal. It will take time for all of us to fully learn the new system but ultimately McMaster will have a more effective system,” said Linda Jacobson, human resources functional team lead for Mosaic.
The new system offers hiring managers many new features. For example, the applicant screening tools includes functionality that allows a panel of interviewers to review applicant resumes online and share comments, as well as schedule interviews with candidates. Job requisitions, including budget approval, will be approved through electronic workflow. Hiring information will be electronically passed to other HR areas avoiding the current process of manual data re-entry.
The new system will handle these recruitment steps:
1) Create a job requisition (the request to recruit an employee for a vacant or new position)
2) Approve a job requisition (the requisition is electronically routed for approval to fill the position)
3) Post a job opening (once approved, the job opening is posted on various recruitment sites)
4) Accept applications (a suite of tools allows people to apply online or offline)
5) Screen candidates (tools to help hiring managers select candidates from the applicant pool for interviews)
6) Make an offer (electronic process for issuing and accepting job offers)
7) Prepare to hire (accepted candidate information transferred to an employee record)
To help you prepare, Mosaic is holding a webinar focusing on recruitment on Thursday, Aug. 14 from 1-1:15 p.m.
Please log on a few minutes early to ensure your audio is working properly. The McMaster Pre‐Session Checklist for Participants will help you prepare to use the webinar software.
Upcoming Information Sessions
Mosaic is holding two information sessions that will explain the major changes end users of the new HR system will encounter. It will be of particular interest to those who administer time entry and payroll functions and those who recruit/hire new employees. Other topics, such as health and safety training tracking will be discussed.
- August 19, 9 a.m. – noon in MDCL 3020
- repeated August 27, 1 p.m.– 4 p.m. in HSC (MUMC) 1A1